Character Design (Full-Time Course)
About the course
Character Design is a 4 week classroom introduction to the art and craft of character design.
You will learn the art and craft of character design - from understanding how great characters are formed to creating your own vision. There will also be an 8 week period of online mentoring and aftercare, in which you can polish your skills in a virtual classroom and receive ongoing feedback and support. The course is designed by animator Alexander Williams with individual classes taught by guest lecturers from the animation industry.
Part one - Introduction to Character Design
- General Introduction to Design - Introductory Exercises. Creativity, ideas and inspiration for stories. Gesture drawing, fast sketches, and research.
- Creating designs which have character - Single images that illustrate personality and character. Design drawings. Situations and character-driven scenarios.
- Industry character design process - A close look at the work of some leading character designers and how they work.
- Art Direction - Introduction to the principles of design and visual development.
Part two - Character Design Technique
- Designing animal characters - How to base designs on real life. Animal anatomy, Staging and character
- Designing human characters - Life drawing, human anatomy, gesture drawing and character poses.
- Character Situations - The interaction of character with a story. How do our characters fit into the overall story?
- Model Packs, Turnarounds, Blend Shapes and Rigging Studies for CG
Part three - Online Mentoring
- Online mentoring will continue for a further 4 weeks. Students will be set a series of projects for delivery, using a Facebook group as an online virtual classroom. Tutors will provide online mentoring and individual feedback.
Alive Character Design: For Games, Animation and Film: For Games, Animation & Film Paperback - 31 Oct 2011 by Haitao Su